PayPal Donations for continued research

Friday 10 September 2021

Bristol Fox deaths and the Current Situation -update

 Sorry for the long post but I have been asked about this so its easier to inform everyone.

This has never been done in the UK before. Foxes found dead have been used to concentrate on one narrow band of research such as how many are of European fox origin. But a dead fox is usually "just a dead fox". "It's dead. Adead fox"
My whole life (even as a child I am told) I have asked questions and looked at things for explanation.At school I finally got a hold of microscopes and other paraphenalia that allowed me to follow up projects. Even today I see a dead pigeon in the street I check it out to see what killed it. I cannot help it. It causes a lot of laughter but even "there's animal poo in the back garden" will get me up to go check it out and identify whether fox, cat, hedgehog.
I've spent since 1976 looking at foxes and their history, lives and habitats. I know a lot die due to cars, hunting and even pesticides (my book The Red Paper: Canids goes into statistics etc). But when someone says "A fox cub that was perfectly healthy yesterday is dead in my garden" I get asked what might have killed it? When on that same day that the question is asked, and in a neighbouring area, another cub is found dead in a garden a kind of obsessive compulsive disorder kicks in and I cannot stop until I get the answer.
Some cases I have looked into, including historical, have taken 25 or 30 years to solve. It takes a lot of research with dead end after dead end and then a couple of words that head off into another direction and then things fall into place. But you have to be tenacious or...me :-)
When I then hear of four foxes found dead I sit up. Then anothergroupof foxes found dead or fox numbers suddenly dropping I really have no way out! People say a fox died as though poisoned. Well, it might be that is true though it could also be a sign of injury (internal) or disease. I have no doubt that in a number of Bristol caes poison is involved, however, what I believe is NOT fact. Evidence is needed.
Looking at the number of unusual fox deaths reported to me -I exclude those where no exact location is given or a photograph toshow the dead animal and after reporting a dead fox the person wants no involvement- we are looking at almost thirty foxes since end of June. I have a list of road kill foxes which are seperate and I cannot include the reported sudden drop in fox populations because there needs to be evidence -a body or bodies. That no foxes have been reported killed by cars in these areas indicates that is no solution.
Most people will contact the City Council who will collect and dispose of the bodies. Today I was lucky enough to have the latest fox found dead found and it is currently on hold for pick up (this is the latest in a number of foxes found dead in the area -poison or disease?).
We have no idea just how many perfectly healthy looking foxes have suddenly died. Bristol wildlife groups have been alerted to contact me first if such a fox is found so it can be assessed and possibly collected for post mortem. However, only a certain number of areas have resulted in reports (see map) so are foxes only dying in those areas?
It took months of working day and night and arguing with bureaucracy to finally get foxes submitted for post mortems. Sadly, all the early (fresh dead) foxes were lost to us. Another fox that staggered into a garden and died was submitted to a vet and poisoning was thought likely. Post Mortem services were willing to look at this fox and it was held in the vets freezer to keep it fresh. Someone broke protocol and that fox was disposed of and we only learnt this when someone went to collect it. It is no exaggeration that this news was a massive kick in the teeth and everything was organised and ready to go.
Deep breath and start again.
Although three recent fox deaths have not been the result of poisoning something else has been revealed. It is not something I want to jump into here because we are still awaiting further tests but it might indicate a fox health problem. Early days and we need that evidence first.
This is why it is so important that as many fox feeders or fox watchers in the City and County of Bristol are aware of the project. It is very sad to write it but the more foxes that are found the better picture we can get. Poisoning then we can report on it and try to get action taken. A disease then it is something we need to look into and alert people so they know how to treat it.
How much private time have I had since July? None. I plan on taking a day off or half a day and...."I have a sick looking fox" or "I have a fox with an injury" or "There is a dead fox in the garden". I tend to work until around 0200hrs daily. It is depressing at times :-)
I would like to thank Emily and Zoe who are the official fox body collectors and the efforts they go to. It would be nice to have a couple more collectors but volunteers to drive around and collect dead foxes for nothing are pretty rare!
Progress is being made but we need to gather far more evidence and there is nowhere else in the UK doing this. The lack of cooperation from fox and other rescues has forced me to make this a geographically isolated project but in a way that may help because if we can make discoveries here then they can apply nationally.
Pretty soon I am going to need to try to sit back and formulate a plan for 2022.
For now it is Friday and 2120 hours and I really need a break from thestress but I felt it important to at least offer some update.
THANK YOU to everyone whpo has helped out.

No comments:

Post a Comment