PayPal Donations for continued research

Friday 29 March 2024

Only The Best Standards Are Acceptable.

 When people claim high standards when it comes to wildlife they better live up to those claims. From 1977 to 2017 (and still on and off) I was an exotic animals consultant for UK police forces and the Exotic Animals Register was highly regarded.  

On a number of occasions I was contacted by wildlife watchdog groups to look into certain establishments -whether zoos or wildlife parks. If I found problems I would speak to someone at the place involved and explain that I was the "soft option" as bigger bodies were aware of problems. 90% of those I contacted made corrections to procedures or how animals were kept (a snow leopard under a roller coaster for goodness sake). Those that did not found themselves reported to local authorities and had their licences very carefully scrutinised and then they had extra expense in updating things.  

I did not like  doing this but as far as I am concerned then and now, the animals are the important thing not how being awkward will make an establishment spend more more. The line that will make me be very blunt with someone is "But the cost---" at that point I then cite regulations and "the local licensing authority are on the other line".  

On a number of occasions I have telephoned wildlife parks or zoos and upon saying who I am "All of our exotics can be accounted for none have escaped" which meant I stifled a laugh. I was only phoning to find out opening times, etc.!  

When I started hearing reports of various British wildlife rescues I checked. None are really deliberately operating badly but there is a great deal of mental stress involved on top of the physical work involved. We have had one person operating a "wildlife rescue" who had a breakdown and the animals were not kept in good conditions but he refused to not help a wild animal. Money donated is never enough to cover food, bedding and vet bills in the UK are said to be the highest in Europe and I have first hand experience of that. 

People often snipe back when I state that the RSPCA is no longer seen as wildlife friendly unless there is a reporter or TV crew around. I can cite dates and case examples of the RSPCA not just flatly refusing to just give the location and reason (RTA etc) a fox was put to sleep but giving the run around and then just ignoring messages. This is not "overworked" staff this is plain and simple keeping quiet how much wildlife aside from foxes they put down -one ex RSPCA inspector has stated "Wildlife take up too much space and staff time so the rule is if it's injured PTS in situ.

If you think the Secret World post was bad for their reputation you ought to see the draft post on the RSPCA nationally.

If you are a wildlife rescue then, yes, you need to appeal for  donations of money or things like food, bedding and so on. There is no funding for trying to save British wildlife (but a lot of money to kill it) so continuing the work is a struggle and it takes dedicated people who basically give up their regular lives.  If I find any wildlife rescue making high claims about what it does and it turns out that is just a gimmick to get money donated then I will name and shame them and back that up with facts.  

I wrote over two years ago that UK wildlife rescues should be aware that I was acting as an unofficial watchdog on their work and to date most have been beyond reproach -and a little leeway is always needed.  We need to try to save and conserve our wildlife not refuse to help it because there is a new packet of biscuits close-by and the stress of passing on a rescuers details would upset your appetite.

Always check that your nearest rescue has a good reputation and if it does SUPPORT it

No comments:

Post a Comment

What should I do if an animal is trapped on a sticky mouse board? Experts teach you the ultimate trick: "Salad oil + flour"

I must admit that I was glad when they made sticky traps illegal in the UK. They are nasty and slow ways for an animal to die and hedgehogs ...