PayPal Donations for continued research

Saturday 29 January 2022

It's A Case Of Will It/Won't It Work

  We are back to that warning about trail cams again.

This month I purchased two -the Xianhu-5




and this piece of junk


Would I recommend them? Absolutely NOT. Two "different manufacturers" and two different cameras.  Both with one fault and that is that they do not take any video footage.

The first type of camera can last around a year if you are lucky. I needed them for field work but I am looking at five of them right now that are in a corner that simply stopped taking images and video with one month or two months. I bought two this month from different Ebay sellers (yes, I know but Amazon has these priced at between £60-90 and other dealers are a little lower but pricey for how unreliable they are) and first one on the first night -nice images -just blank video. 

Instructions in Chinese with nonsensical English. long delay in responding. "We have contacted the Chinese manufacturer...usual rubbish. Eventually return the item. No refund but a replacement non working camera.

Two of the same type of camera from two (I am assuming that it is two seperate companies) and same problem. Faulty. Do not take the risk.

Second more expensive camera: exactly the same problem. Battery changes -nothing. Daylight -no video clips. I contacted the 'UK seller' and it took a long time for to get a reply and they did not understand "The video feature does not work"! So I explained (twice more) then I got the "We have been in touch with the manufacturer in China" (where, luckily, the seller is based -it has a UK warehouse NOT business) and I was sent instructions in Chinese on "what to do" then Chinese and English nonsense instructions. 

Finally I was asked to return the camera so I asked for the return postage to be paid as is stated on the item description. More delays so I send it back to them and tell them its on its way. "How much will it cost?" they asked. I said that it cost me £5.95 as I securely wrapped it. That was it.

A day or so later Ebay sends me a returns label to print out and too late. I have asked the seller if the camera has arrived yet (7 days)...no response.

Am I tempted to buy a more expensive camera? It will have been manufactured in China, too and the problems if you get one not working.... Like I say I have six here that are not working and one I took apart and all the wiring IS connected so the problem obviously is with the manufacturer. Produce cheap rubbish and grab the cash.

 You buy cheap, medium or expensive you get the same design and insides so its a case of trail cam roulette.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Vale Wildlife Hospital and Rehabilitation Centre -Contains Graphic Image

  WARNING - GRAPHIC IMAGES This poor fox came into us yesterday afternoon after he was seen with the pictured plastic bottle stuck around h...